On May 17, Colgate-Palmolive Company teamed up with Atlanta Braves outfielder Brian Jordan and hosted an oral health celebration that presented the "US Surgeon General’s Seven Steps to a Bright Smile" to more than 400 Atlanta elementary school students. The oral health tips are designed to underscore the importance of maintaining good dental hygiene and to empower children to manage their own dental health.
“I am committed to informing the public, health care providers, policy makers and educators, among others, that oral health is an essential component of general health and well being,” says US Surgeon General, Richard H. Carmona, MD, MPH, FACS. “My office is working diligently with oral health professionals and with companies like Colgate to ensure that everyone in the United States has access to oral health education and treatment, and the information they need to maintain a healthy mouth and body.”
The US Surgeon General’s seven steps to a bright smile are:
• brush teeth and gums with fluoride toothpaste at least twice a day, especially after eating breakfast and before bedtime.
• visit the dentist regularly;
• floss your teeth daily;
• use fluoride rinse for strong and healthy teeth and gums;
• limit the number of times you eat snacks each day and remember to practice healthy eating and get plenty of calcium;
• wear a mouthguard when playing sports; and
• ask your dental professional about sealants.
For more information on the program, visit www.colgate.com.