At the recent American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) Annual Session in Washington, DC, the association elected officers for the 2018-2019 term and installed two new Board of Trustees members.
Brent E. Larson, DDS, MS (pictured), was formally installed as the 2018-2019 president of the AAO. Larson is in private practice in Rochester, Minn, and serves as the director of the Division of Orthodontics and professor of orthodontics at the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry.
Larson has been actively involved in organized dentistry and orthodontics, serving as a site visitor for the Commission on Dental Accreditation for Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. He is a past president of the Minnesota Association of Orthodontists (MAO) and the Midwestern Society of Orthodontists (MSO). He was the AAO secretary-treasurer for 2016-2017 and served as the 2017-2018 president-elect.
In addition to his membership in the AAO, MSO, and MAO, he is also a member of the College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics, the World Federation of Orthodontists, the American Dental Association, the Minnesota Dental Association, and Zumbro Valley Dental Society. He is a fellow of both the American College of Dentists and the International College of Dentists, and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics. Larson is a member of the International Association for Dental Research, the American Association for Dental Research, and the American Dental Education Association.
Prior to joining the faculty of the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, Larson was the orthodontic program director at the Mayo Clinic and assistant professor in the Department of Dental Specialties at the Mayo Medical School.
In addition to Larson, the AAO elected the following officers for the 2018-2019 term:
- Gary O. Inman, DMD, an orthodontist practicing in Elizabethtown, Campbellsville and Glasgow, Ky, was elected the AAO 2018-2019 president-elect.
- Christopher A. Roberts, DDS, MS, of Findlay, Ohio, an adjunct professor of dentistry at the University of Michigan Department of Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, was elected the AAO 2018-2019 secretary-treasurer. Roberts also represents the Great Lakes Association of Orthodontists on the AAO Board of Trustees.
- Richard A. Williams, DDS, MS, an orthodontist practicing in Southaven and Olive Branch, Miss, and the program director for the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, College of Dentistry, Department of Orthodontics, was installed as the new trustee representing the Southern Association of Orthodontists.
- Jeff L. Rickabaugh, DDS, MDS, an orthodontist who practices in Winston-Salem, NC, was installed as the Speaker of the AAO House of Delegates.
In addition to Larson, Inman, Roberts, Williams, and Rickabaugh, other members of the AAO Board of Trustees are:
- J. Kendall Dillehay, DDS, MSD, Wichita, Kan, Trustee, Southwestern Society of Orthodontists
- Norman J. Nagel, DDS, MS, Simi Valley, Calif, Trustee, Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists
- Myron D. Guymon, DDS, MS, Logan, Utah, Trustee, Rocky Mountain Society of Orthodontists
- John D. Callahan, DDS, MS, Fayetteville, NY, Trustee, Northeastern Society of Orthodontists
- Steven M. Siegel, DMD, Glen Burnie, Md, Trustee, Middle Atlantic Society of Orthodontists
- Michael G. Durbin, DDS, MS, Des Plaines, Ill, Trustee, Midwestern Society of Orthodontists
- Rolf G. Behrents, DDS, MS, PhD, St Louis, Editor-in-Chief of the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Lynne Thomas Gordon, MBA, RHIA, CAE, FACHE, FAHIMA, St Louis, Executive Director of the AAO