Oakstone Publishing introduces a new audio CD, The Expanding Role of Dental Practitioners in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Sleep Apnea. According to the company, the CD is filled with practical guidance and detailed clinical insights featuring two of the country’s leading experts on sleep apnea and its implications for dentists and orthodontists.
The CD gives orthodontists the information they need to recognize this dangerous condition, as well as guidance on new dental and oral surgery treatment options.
Featured experts are Peter Waite, MD, DDS, chairman of the University of Alabama’s Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery; and Harry Legan, DDS, director of Orthodontics at Vanderbilt University. Both are accomplished clinicians as well as leading authorities on sleep apnea. Their conversations with "Topics in Orthodontics" co-editors David Sarver, DMD, adjunct professor of Orthodontics at the University of North Carolina School of Dentistry; and Mark Yanosky, DMD, offer a unique perspective into this critical subject.
Topics addressed on the CD include:
• signs and symptoms of sleep apnea;
• conducting an Epworth screening exam;
• when and how to refer for sleep studies;
• the physiology of sleep apnea;
• why to document patient refusal of sleep studies;
• how the respiratory disturbance index should impact your treatment planning;
• why orthognathic surgery may be your patient’s best option;
• the limitations of CPAP and UP3 surgery;
• the pros and cons of dental splints;
• maximizing jaw movement while ensuring optimal aesthetics;
• the roles and indications for Laforte 1, bilateral sagittal split, genioplasty, and simple mandibular advancement;
• correlating jaw movement and anatomical changes to the airway;
• success rates of sleep apnea treatment options;
• how to coordinate among surgeons, sleep medicine, and dental professionals;
• surgical options: maxilla versus mandible; and
• how to become part of a "sleep team."
This CD is $99, and includes a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
To order, call (800) 633-4743 and use item promotion code A18N04.