Levin Group conducts annual market research to better understand the best methods of creating orthodontic practice success. Over the last 3 years we have rigorously studied many “Top 10%” producing orthodontic practices to learn what separates them from others. We’ve found five things that these practices do routinely to achieve success. Take a look at the list below to see if you’re already performing at their level or need to improve.
Five Things Top 10% Orthodontic Practices Do Better
- Top 10% orthodontic practices have a relentless desire to improve. Top 10% orthodontists are rapid decision-makers, engage new technologies and clinical products with an open mind, and have a strong focus on improving day-to-day operations. Their teams also tend to be greatly motivated, open to change, and have a strong desire to improve and continually beat past performance.
- Top 10% orthodontic practices have a high level of routine behaviors. Once systems are put in place, they are rigorously followed. These top orthodontists don’t waste a lot of time every day following up with their teams to determine if they’re effectively implementing new systems. This allows doctors to spend almost 95% of their daily schedule time in direct contact with patients while they trust their teams to handle almost all daily operations.
- Top 10% orthodontic practices have very strong marketing programs. Top 10% orthodontic practices are highly consistent in their marketing activities. If they handle marketing in-house, they have regular meetings to determine strategy. If they use an outside firm, they’re fanatical about implementing everything they’re given and meeting all deadlines.
- Top 10% orthodontic practices have doctors who are excellent leaders. Top orthodontists consistently work on their leadership skills in order to build the best leadership methodology. They give a great deal of thought to how the practice can continue to be successful and effectively communicate their vision for the future to their teams. And they seem to be motivated and energized by finding new ways to be better leaders, motivate their teams, and surround themselves with high performers.
- Top 10% orthodontic practices have high levels of customer service. All operations are enhanced with excellent customer service strategy and an overall attitude of making life as easy and convenient for patients as possible. In addition, we noted that these teams go out of their way to develop great relationships with both patients and parents. Although all of these practices experience customer service issues from time to time, most of these are easily overlooked by patients and parents based on the strong relationships that have been built.
Top 10% orthodontic practices experience success on a very high level and it’s not by happenstance or luck that they have been catapulted into this position. Top 10% orthodontic practices get there by doing the above five things consistently and effectively. OP
Roger P. Levin, DDS, is the CEO of Levin Group, a leading dental management consulting firm. Founded in 1985, Levin Group has worked with over 30,000 dental practices. Levin is one of the most sought-after speakers in dentistry and is a leading authority on dental practice success and sustainable growth. Through extensive research and cutting-edge innovation, Levin is a recognized expert on propelling practices into the top 10%. He has authored 65 books and over 4,000 articles on dental practice management and marketing. To contact Levin, visit levingroup.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.